Gingerbread Men just scream holidays!
You Will Win The Holidays With These Chewy Gluten Free Gingerbread Men
I guess I could have called these Gingerbread Ladies too! But, these Gluten Free Gingerbread Men are chewy and spiced just right! This holiday cookie recipe is probably my favorite out of the collection this year.
I’m still working on my icing skills, but get creative with your Gingerbread Men designs! Have an icing party with your girlfriends or your kids! The icing is a simple vegan royal icing recipe using aquafaba! If you haven’t tried this egg-alternative, you should. I was surprised how similar to egg whites the aquafaba ended up.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays babes!!
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
1 hour 8 minutes
- Recipe Type:
- FOR THE GLUTEN FREE GINGERBREAD MEN
- 1 cup gluten free flour mix
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1/2 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE VEGAN ICING
- 4 1/2 tablespoons aquafaba (the liquid of canned chickpeas)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Combine the sugar, shortening, molasses, honey, egg and vanilla extract into a food processor. Cream them together.
- 3. Add the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt to the wet ingredients. The dough should begin to ball up in the food processor.
- 4. Roll the dough out to 3/8’ thick. These Gluten Free Gingerbread Men will puff up slightly in the oven. Dip the cookie cutter in some of the gluten free flour mix to cut the men. This will help form a clean cut on the dough to better maintain the shape of the gingerbread men.
- 5. Carefully place gingerbread men onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow enough space between the cookies, as they will rise slightly in the oven. Take leftover dough and roll out again to repeat the process until you can’t get anymore men from the leftover dough.
- 6. Before putting the gingerbread men in the oven, pop the baking sheet with the cookies into the refrigerator to chill the dough for 20 minutes. This will also help keep the shape of the gingerbread men while baking.
- 7. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove and allow to cool before icing.
- 8. While the cookies are cooling, whisk the aquafaba in a large mixing bowl for 30 seconds. The liquid should be frothy. Combine the other royal icing ingredients in the bowl and whisk until soft peaks are formed, anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes. Use a handheld mixer, or stand-up mixer to whisk the icing together. Try chilling the mixing bowl in the freezer for a few minutes before you begin icing if you are having trouble getting the icing to form soft peaks. Your house may be too warm for the icing to set up properly.
Want more gluten free holiday recipes?? Check out all the Holiday fun HERE.